Yves Tanguy gave these earrings, his smallest paintings, to Peggy Guggenheim in 1938 at the time of his exhibition at her London gallery, Guggenheim Jeune. She was later to wear one of these, together with an earring by Alexander Calder, on the night of the opening of her New York museum-gallery Art of This Century, October 20, 1942, to signal her impartiality between abstraction and Surrealism.
|Medium||Silver, gold, pearls and oil on shell (paint on shell in gold and silver mounts)|
|Dimensions||Blue/green earring: 7 x 3.7 x 1.6 cm Pink earring: 7.1 x 3.7 x 1.6 cm|
|Credit line||Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, New York. Purchased with funds given by the Friends of the Peggy Guggenheim Collection|