The library is open to the public by appointment on Wednesday morning.
To schedule an appointment please call +39 041.2405.433, Monday-Friday, from 10 AM to 5 PM, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Those with deadlines should set appointments well in advance, in order to secure sufficient time for research.
The library is located within staff quarters of the museum. Upon arrival, please notify entrance staff in order to be escorted to the library and please deposit bags and personal belongings in the cloakroom or lockers. An I.D. is required for admission to the library.
- This open-shelf library is effective for study and research, with books easily accessible. The room is equipped with 30 seats, laptop capability, internet access, computer-assisted research material, video projector, slide projector, CD, DVD, and VHS player.
- Photocopies: available for books in good condition published after 1965. A signed release form is required to ensure all copied material will be used solely for study and respect the limits of Italian law that no more than 15% of a publication may be photocopied.
- Document Delivery: The service of delivered documents is available for publications after 1965 and can be delivered by FAX, e-mail, FTP, and/or CD-ROM (rates).
- Reproduction: The reproduction service is available for publications prior to 1965
- Loan: Materials are not available for borrowing and/or Interlibrary Loan.
Since 2005, minor documentary ephemera have been digitally catalogued, thanks above all to the Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation.
Thanks to grants from the Regione del Veneto, a cataloguing project was launched in April 2007 to link the PGC library to the Sistema Bibliotecario Nazionale. This project was completed in 2008, enabling the public to access via internet the online catalogue of books in the PGC open collection, as well as volumes in the closed-shelf depository (rare books and pamphlets).
N.B. In the "Libraries" select "Peggy Guggenheim"
Other search tools are available at the following link
The library’s book collection consists of over 8,000 items dedicated to modern and contemporary art, general topics, exhibition catalogues, catalogues of museum collections, theory of modern art criticism, art journals, periodicals, videos, and slides.
- Catalogues of exhibitions held at the Peggy Guggenheim Collection (from 1985 to present)
- Catalogues of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York (from 1948 to present)
- Catalogues of the Venice Biennale (from 1895 to present)
The Library also manages a fully digitized and catalogued collection of photography, focused on the life of Peggy Guggenheim, consisting of approximately 850 photographs and 400 film negatives.
The library of the Peggy Guggenheim Collection originated with the legacy of hundreds of catalogues belonging to Peggy Guggenheim herself. The library has grown thanks to a library exchange program and donations from national and international institutions.
Students from around the world use the library to write their theses on topics of contemporary and modern art, the museum, as well as Peggy Guggenheim.
The library is a key resource for trainees from around the world participating in the Internship Program and a support tool for the museum staff in preparation of exhibitions.