compra il tuo bigliettoiscriviti alla newsletter digitale
 

Eduardo Chillida


Stele for Millares

1972

Meeting Place I

1964

Untitled

1970

Untitled

1974

Parménide (1/6)

1999

Parménide (2/6)

1999

Parménide (3/6)

1999

Parménide (4/6)

1999

Parménide (5/6)

1999

Parménide (6/6)

1999
 


Eduardo Chillida was born on January 10, 1924, in San Sebastián, Spain. After studying architecture from 1943 to 1947 at the University of Madrid, he began to concentrate on drawing and sculpture. He moved to Paris in 1948 and became close friends with Pablo Palazuelo, with whom he exhibited at the Salon de Mai of 1949. In 1950 Chillida lived in Villaines-sous-Bois, France, before moving the following year to Hernani, near San Sebastián, where he formed a friendship with José Cruz Iturbe.

Chillida’s first one-man show was held at the Galería Clan in Madrid in 1954. The city of San Sebastián commissioned him to execute a monument to Alexander Fleming in 1955. In 1956 he was given the first of many one-man exhibitions at Galerie Maeght in Paris. He won the International Grand Prize for Sculpture at the Venice Biennale in 1958. This year he made his first visit to the United States, where he met James Johnson Sweeney, Mies van der Rohe and the composer Edgar Varèse. He was awarded the Kandinsky Prize in 1960. He traveled to Greece in 1963 and the following year he won the Sculpture Prize at the Carnegie International in Pittsburgh. In 1966 Chillida met the Philosopher Martin Heidegger, whose book, Der Kunst und der Raum, he illustrated.

Retrospectives of Chillida’s work were held in 1969 at museums in Basel, Zürich and Munich. That same year he began a sculpture for the UNESCO Building in Paris and the following year executed a commission for the world Bank of Washington. In 1971 he was a visiting professor at the Carpenter Centre in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and later in the year traveled to Barcelona on the occasion of his solo exhibition at the Sala Gaspar. Chillida and de Kooning shared the Andrew W. Mellon Prize, which was accompanied by a major show at the Museum of Art, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, in 1979. He was given a solo exhibition at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, in 1980; participated at the Venice Biennale in 1990 with a solo show in Ca’Pesaro palace, and received the Praemium Imperiale from the Japan Art Association in 1991. The Chillida-Leku Museum in Hernani, Gipuzkoa was opened in 2000. The artist died on August 19, 2002 in his residence on Mount Igueldo.

credits: Hangar Design Group