compra il tuo bigliettoiscriviti alla newsletter digitale
 

Bernd and Hilla Becher


Framework Houses

1988
 


Bernd Becher was born in 1931 in Siegen, Germany. He studied painting and lithography at the Staatliche Akademie der Bildenden Künste in Stuttgart from 1953 to 1956 and typography at the Staatliche Kunstakademie Düsseldorf from 1957 to 1961. Hilla Becher was born Hilla Wobeser in 1934 in Potsdam, Germany. She studied graphic and printing techniques at the Kunstakademie Düsseldorf, where she met Bernd Becher. The two artists first collaborated in 1959 and were married in 1961. They began working as freelance photographers, concentrating on industrial photography.  From their first series of photographs of water towers, the artists did not veer from architectural portraiture subjects, using both industrial and domestic structures, such as gas tanks, silos, framework houses, and the like. They were given their first gallery show in 1963 at the Galerie Ruth Nohl in Siegen, and by 1968 they were exhibiting in the United States as well as in European cities outside Germany. In 1969 the artists called the architectural subject matter of their photographs “anonymous sculpture.”  In 1972 the Bechers began showing at the Sonnabend Gallery in New York. In 1974 the Institute of Contemporary Arts in London organized an exhibition of their work, which toured the United Kingdom.  They were invited to participate in Documenta in Kassel in 1972, 1977, 1982, and 2002, and at the São Paulo Bienal in 1977. The Stedelijk Van Abbemuseum in Eindhoven organized a retrospective in 1981. In 1985 they had a major museum exhibition, which traveled to Essen, Paris, and Belgium. In 1991 they won the Golden Lion for sculpture at the Venice Biennale. The Venice installation was reworked in a retrospective exhibition at the Kunstverein in Cologne, and was shown again in 1994 at the Ydessa Hendeles Art Foundation in Toronto and at the Westfälisches Landesmuseum für Kunst und Kulturgeschichte in Münster. In 2002 the Bechers were awarded the Erasmus Prize in recognition of their instrumental roles as professors at the Kunstakademie Düsseldorf. Other retrospectives of the couple’s work have been organized by the Photographische Sammlung/SK Stiftung Kultur in Cologne (1999 and 2003), Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris (2005), and Museum of Modern Art in New York (2008). Bernd Becher died in 2007 in Rostock, Germany.

credits: Hangar Design Group